Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Activation Day Oct. 24,2011

It is truly amazing how little we take hearing for granted. I did until I gradually lost mine. Diagnosed with Meniere's at age 19 and hearing loss was just that-oh well nothing I can do. Was told no hearing aids would work. Jump ahead 27 years and a bicross later, hearing was bad enough that i was issued hearing aids. Jump ahead another 6 years and at age 51 years, no hearing at all, left some hearing with aid. Diagnosis: candidate for cochlear implant. Surgery Oct 17, 2011 to have internal implant and Oct. 24,2011 ACTIVATION DAY
Words can't express the joy, the thrill of hearing my husband make a cheek sound that he used to make to our children when they were little. Hadn't heard that sound in years. I cried when I heard him and my audiologist.It was truly amazing. She tested me on sounds of letter and vowels, I did well only missed one. That was real good. She set the levels on my processor to levels that is would not hurt but I could hear. I listened to music the rest of the night. Music with words and lyrics sounds very jumbled still. TV too much. I was exhausted by the days end. Slept 9 hours straight. Hearing is exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment